[wellylug] Bootable CDROMS

JP jumbophut at yahoo.co.in
Thu Feb 5 09:24:43 NZDT 2004

 --- Jethro Carr wrote: > hi,

> I want to create a bootable linux cdrom. Does anyone
> know how, or where
> I can findout how to do this?

Probably the easiest way is to google for 'knoppix
(remaster OR remastering)'.  Even if you don't plan to
use knoppix as the base for the bootable CD, there are
some instructions that go into a fair bit of detail
about how it is done.

> I want to be able to boot a version of linux,
> straight from the cdrom.
> (like knoppix)
>
> Also, does the system need to create a ramdrive? If
> so, how...

The system needs to create a ramdisk if you aren't
planning to use the hard drive when you boot from the
CD.  This is because the OS and applications need to
write to files in (at least!) var and tmp.

Again, some of the knoppix remastering faqs should
contain instructions.  As far as I know it's basically
a matter of compiling ramdisk into your kernel,
configuring lilo correctly, and having the appropriate
entry in /etc/fstab.