[wellylug] Tape Backup Units

Ewen McNeill wellylug at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Mon Feb 16 16:42:08 NZDT 2004

In message <40303278.2000808 at orcon.net.nz>, Jamie Dobbs writes:
>recommend any? I feel that having the drives directly on the IDE bus
>would be a hell of a lot quicker than USB/Firewire, although I guess if
>I just start it backing up and go to bed then what does it matter.

Firewire is nearly as fast as having it on the IDE bus (at least in
my experience) especially if your IDE device has to share with something
else.  Certainly a Firewire harddrive will be faster than an IDE tape
drive.  (A USB hard drive might or might not be faster, depending on
which USB standards things talk and the drivers.)

Hotplugging IDE is generally not recommended.  There are a few devices
which sort of try to provide that support, but the OS is still likely to
get fairly upset if you don't tell it that the drive is going away.

Ewen