[wellylug] Optical mouse for Linux

Tim tim at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Fri Feb 27 22:45:31 NZDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 6:01 pm, Colin & Josephine Lewis wrote:
> I am needing to replace my mouse (currently a Microsoft one!), preferably
> with an optical mouse with a scroll wheel.  I have tried a DSE one, but
> while it does glow appropriately, it won't move the cursor - not very
> helpful really! What mice are others using, that work well under Linux?
> Any recommendations?

The dick smith ones work fine (I use one with linux). You probably just need
to adjust you XF86Config-4 file so that X knows about the mouse. The fact the
red light is turning on is an indication that your kernel is detecting the
mouse.

The quick hack is to change the line that reads /dev/psaux to /dev/mice in
(usually) /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Then X will work with all USB mice (but not
with any PS/2 mice).

Otherwise your distribution might have a config tool to set X up
automatically.

Tim Wright