[wellylug] DSE ieee1394 external hard drive operation problems

Jo Booth - Project Services joseph at projectservices.co.nz
Fri Jan 9 18:19:42 NZDT 2004

> Damon Lynch wrote:
>> If you don't mind me asking, which brand are you using?   I'm still
>> keen
>> of the idea of an external unit (for backups), but if at all possible
>> want to avoid the time consuming task of trouble shooting problems
>> again.
>
> I got mine from Quay Computers in Wellington, chipset is Oxford
> Semiconductor.

It's probably totally unrelated.. and won't really help -- but Apple
just fixed a problem they were having with a bunch of Firewire HDD
chipsets:
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/10/30/firewireissue/
"Apple has identified an issue with external FireWire hard drives using
the Oxford 922 bridge chip-set with firmware version 1.02 that can
result in the loss of data stored on the disk drive..."
It's resolved now.. A few drive manufacturers issued firmware updates
-- but with the amount of open source software Apple is using in OS X
these days - it may have been a bit of code at fault?

In other Mac related / Linux related stuff.. while watching the MWSF
keynote on the 7th I did hear the new G5 Xserve
http://www.apple.com/xserve/ supports linux.. I presume through
OpenDarwin, but i'm sure we could all cope with 750GB worth of HDD
space, dual 64bit 2Ghz processors, 8GB of ram in a nice package that
easily runs a lotta open source stuff via OS X 10.3 (Panther).

__
Mangee