[wellylug] Mobile music player gadget

Jonathan Harker jharker at massey.ac.nz
Tue Jan 13 09:37:10 NZDT 2004

FYI

I've done a fair amount of homework on MP3 players, and wanted one that would
work in Linux without any problems and that could play oggs. I got the iRiver
IHP-120, which I can recommend over the Creative Zen, iPod and Rio Karma for
these reasons:

No hokey proprietary DRM software required to load music

Appears as a standard USB storage device, load your music by copying files across

Works perfectly in Linux, no software or drivers required (just a modern
kernel with USB EHCI support)

20 GB storage device

FM tuner

Works for 15 hours on a Lithium battery

Plays oggs

Records up to 2 hours straight to wav or mp3 with internal microphone, mic-in
or line-in (great for ripping one's precious vinyl)

Product:
   http://www.iriver.com/product/info.asp?p_name=iHP-120

Review:
   http://gear.ign.com/articles/457/457818p2.html