[wellylug] Formalising WellyLUG - revisited

Jamie Dobbs jamie.dobbs at orcon.net.nz
Mon Jan 26 16:38:16 NZDT 2004

> Peace be on you Jamie.  I don't disagree regarding the tyranny of the
> majority or minority.  There is a rather good book on the subject.  :-)
>
> But I would imagine that not everyone would join the formal group.  If
> you didn't join, there could be no cost.

But surely if you didn't join then you wouldn't be able to partake of
meetings etc?

> Democracy in action.  Who set the group up?.  What did he/she have in
> mind?

I set the group up with the express aim of it just being a way for like
minded geeks to be able to get together share ideas/experience/knowledge
and have events such as InstallFests etc. with no real formal structure to
the group (unless you call me a benevolent dicatator :-]).
Money was only taken at the old venue to cover costs and any remnants were
used for things such as blank CDs etc. for InstallFest, advertising
brochures etc.
Most importantly the LUG should be a FUN environment where people can get
together relax and share knowledge. I already may have 4 speakers lined up
for this year but won't be able to confirm for a few weeks yet.

My current way of thinking is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" sure I've
been a little slack of late but now that time allows I'm ready to dedicate
more time to the LUG and get things back on track.

[/my 2.25 cents]