[wellylug] Trouble playing audio CDs

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Sun Jul 4 11:46:53 NZST 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 08:48, Jethro Carr wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 08:39, Grant McLean wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > When I play audio CDs on my laptop (Acer Aspire 1350) no sound
> > comes out.
> What distro are you using?

Debian Sarge.

> check that audiofile & esound are installed. These provide sound
> support for GNOME.

Yes, I do have the libaudiofile0 and esound packages installed.

In the desktop preferences, I noticed that the option to 'Enable sound
server startup' was not ticked.  I tried ticking it and my ears were
immediately assaulted with static.  No amount of tweaking in the mixer
app seemed to make a difference.  So it would seem that sound is not
happy as far as GNOME is concerned, despite xmms and web browser audio
working fine.  I wouldn't have thought that the command-line cdplayer
would use esound though.

Thanks
Grant