[wellylug] Wtd: Sound card advice

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Sun Jul 11 22:50:17 NZST 2004

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, William Hamilton wrote:
> I am looking to setup a PC for playing music, I am interested in a half
> decent (nothing too extreme) sound card with good and easy Linux support.

SBLive 5.1DE suits me fine here. Runs without problems using OSS (2.4) or
ALSA (2.4 & 2.6 kernels). The driver can mix multiple audio streams so you
don't get contention problems. Gentoo.org has a good ALSA howto.

Other brands might be OK too - but I've only had personal experience with
SBLive, AC97 (that onboard southbridge crap - avoid it IMO), and an ESS
audiodrive card that was really a SB-PCI64 (not great either).

--
David.