[wellylug] Gnome + Streaming Background images

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Wed Jul 14 12:16:58 NZST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Chris Hodgetts wrote:

> Hey all
>
> We at work have a couple of "Streaming" video cameras around the
> building, I was wondering if there is a way to display a webpage / image
> on a webserver in gnome as your background image..
>
> It updates every second and would be kewl to get the background to
> upgrade as well..

Well, I've had the screensaver running on the background before with
semi-decent results:

$ /usr/lib/xscreensaver/vermiculate -root

So I'm sure you can do something similar - just need to draw on the root
window. There's probably even an xscreensaver program that displays images
from a directory without trying to do anything wacky to them (check
'Advanced' tab in xscreensaver-demo) - combine that with your webcam
capture system and bingo.  Only problem is, xscreensaver programs don't
redraw the root window when you uncover a piece of previously obscured
background (e.g. by moving a window).

Now don't ask me how this will interact with Gnome and it's annoying
Nautilus-owned background (which obscures the root window)...

--
David.