[wellylug] 2.6.7 kernel

Sam Cannell sam at plaz.net.nz
Fri Jul 16 06:15:59 NZST 2004

* Untar the kernel source under /usr/src/.  This will create a
linux-2.6.7 directory with the source tree in it.

* Have a look at the file linux-2.6.7/Documentation/Changes.  In the
'Current Minimal Requirements' section, make sure you have at least the
required version of all the tools.  If you are going from a 2.4 kernel
to 2.6 for the first time, you will definitely need to install the
module-init-tools utilities (These are the replacements for the old
modutils - insmod, modprobe, rmmod and friends)

* Enter the linux-2.6.7 directory, and run 'make menuconfig'.  Step
through the configuration screens and choose the options you want to
compile in

* When you've finished, exit and save your kernel configuration.

* Run 'make'

* When the 'make' finishes, run 'make modules_install'

* When that finishes, copy '/usr/src/linux-2.6.7/arch/i386/boot/bzImage'
to '/boot/bzImage-2.6.7'

* Copy '/usr/src/linux/System.map' to '/boot/System.map-2.6.7'

* Open /boot/grub/menu.lst in a text editor.  Locate the definitions for
your other boot types, and add something like this below them:

title       Linux with 2.6.7 kernel
root        (hd0,0)
kernel      /boot/bzImage-2.6.7 root=/dev/hda2 ro
savedefault
boot

If your /boot/ directory is on a separate partition to the root, it'll
look more like:

title       Linux with 2.6.7 kernel
root        (hd0,1)
kernel      /bzImage-2.6.7 root=/dev/hda2 ro
savedefault
boot

It'll probably be easiest if you duplicate the section for your current
kernel and just modify the title and filename.

Hope this helps

Sam