[wellylug] Trouble playing audio CDs

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Mon Jul 19 21:43:07 NZST 2004

I eventually got CD digital playback working, so I thought I'd report
back in case anyone else had the same problem.

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 11:32, Grant McLean wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 08:46, Wayne Koorts wrote:
> > - Load XMMS
> > - Go to preferences -> plugin preferences
> > - Go to properties of cd audio plugin
> > - Set audio type to 'digital audio extraction' instead of 'analog'
> > - Mount a music cd
>
> How does one 'mount' an audio CD?  'mount /cdrom' fails because the
> audio CD doesn't have an iso9660 filesystem on it.

It turns out it's not necessary to 'mount' a CD to play it via XMMS.

In the XMMS CD Audio Player input plugin config screen, two pathnames
are necessary:

  The CD device - /dev/cdrom in my case
  A directory name - /cdrom works for me

The trick is that you 'play' the directory.  It must exist, but its
contents are irrelevant.  XMMS seems to recognise the directory name as
a request to play the CD - and duly obliges by directly accessing the
device.  You can't 'play' the device directly though.

All rather unintuitive but effective once you get it going.

Regards
Grant