[wellylug] Sun confirms plans to open source Solaris

Rob Giltrap rob at ubietygroup.com
Fri Jun 4 09:57:52 NZST 2004

Simon Anderson wrote:

>I would say that Bechtolsheim's reputation is overshadowed by that of Bill
>Joy, whose resignation letter from Sun I include here in full for your
>amusement;

Bill Joy is a freaky person, absolutely awesome brain, brilliant
technologist, but definately on the edge

>Do you know Glynn Foster? He's the Irish Sun engineer based in
>Christchurch assigned to GNOME. He often has often offers valuable
>insights on this topic through his blog;
>
>http://www.gnome.org/~gman/blog/

Haven't met him in person yet but he is the man... the Gman!

>I'm particularly looking forward to playing with ZFS, hoping that it lives
>up to the hype (which it will, coming from the folk who gave us NFS.)

Haven't touched ZFS yet but given the NFS track record it should be a
goodie. It's one of those technologies where most people say we don't
need that, but in five years time it will be a non bleeding edge
technology that people will trust and that's when more people will need it.