[wellylug] cron trouble

JP jumbophut at yahoo.co.in
Wed Jun 9 23:24:15 NZST 2004

Hi all

I'm having some trouble with a cron job.

crontab -l returns:
0 20 * * * /home/ct/recrad.sh 101.3 30:0.0
/tmp/test.ogg

(Yes, there is a newline there).

The script runs just fine from the command line.

Basically, the script is failing because it needs
access to /dev/dsp and /dev/radio.  It says it has
access to neither, even though it is running as a user
(ct) who gets these on KDE login (via PAM).

The problem seems to be that although KDE adds all
users to the audio group, which can read /dev/dsp
etc., crontab opens a new (non-login) shell outside
the KDE environment, and that shell does not ask PAM
to add the user to the right groups.

Any ideas how I can get cron to do the right thing,
short of granting world access to /dev/dsp and
/dev/audio or running the command as root?

I have checked the /etc/pam.d directory.  Adding
group.so to login and enabling the right groups in
/etc/security/groups.conf, just like for KDE, doesn't
work because cron isn't using a login shell.

Cheers
Tony