[wellylug] Re: Distrowars (was OpenOffice 1.1.1)

Wood Brent pcreso at pcreso.com
Sat Jun 12 19:38:52 NZST 2004

--- Damon Lynch <damon at photo.geek.nz> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 18:00, JP wrote:
>
> > My biggest beef with Mandrake is what to do if the
> > thing you want to do doesn't come 'built-in'.  At the
> > installfest, for example, we were trying to install a
> > PCI modem (known to work with Linux) on a new Mandrake
> > system.  The Mandrake wizard thingy couldn't find a
> > driver and it wasn't clear how to add one in manually.

The intriging thing: the totally new to Linux user who got Mandrake installed
without modem support at the installfest turned up at the next LUG meeting.
Complete with MDK10 system & working modem, sorted out by himself.

While this sort of makes us "Mandrake experts" suspect, but as I've noted
before, it ain't hard to find Debian guru's, or Gentoo, etc. A very different
story with Mandrake because 99% of the time it installs & goes & does what is
required. No need to learn about config files, etc. So few guru's who really
know what is under the hood.

I don't use a PC to become an expert in configuring an OS, I want to use it for
other things. To date Mandrake has let me do this better than anything else
I've tried.

Your needs/preferences may vary, & the one thing Linux does offer is choice- we
can all pretty much get what we want!!

Spotcha...

    Brent