[wellylug] Onebase Linux

Bill Christiansen bill.christiansen at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jun 15 04:45:21 NZST 2004

Just puting in a plug for my latest favourite distro: Onebase

http://www.onebase-linux.org

It's still quiet a young distro (only been around for about a year) but
has some impressive features. It was built from scratch but uses knoppix
hardware detection. It has an advanced package management system that
can do either source or binary app installs from either the command line
or via a "click-n-pick" on-line gallery. The gallery of apps is growing
all the time but experienced linux users can easily create more packages
from tar.bz2 or tar.gz source files and add them to the gallery for
others to use. The OnbaseGo version is a live CD that boots to a KDE 3.2
desktop and has an icon to kick off a fast (12 min) binary hard drive
install, or you can use the Onebase 2004-r3 version that does a source
compile install (this one takes several hours but will squeeze that
little bit of extra performance and stability out of your system). At
the end of either install you will have a base system that you can very
easily go online and choose whatever apps you want to add. It
automatically checks for and downloads any required dependecies and
un-installs the old versions. I like the fact that you can type a single
command to update everything on your system (a bit like debian's apt-get
but I think it's better). The click-n-pick on-line gallery is a bit like
Linspires click-n-run except with onebase it's completely free (no
membership or pay per download fees).

Cheers
Bill