[wellylug] Continuing nz.debian.org / ftp.citylink.co.nz issues

Sam Cannell sam at plaz.net.nz
Tue Jun 22 16:18:15 NZST 2004

I'm now having issues connecting to nz.debian.org from Xtra DSL:

sam at arilou:~$ telnet ftp.nz.debian.org 21
Trying 202.7.4.9...
Connected to ftp.citylink.co.nz.
Escape character is '^]'.
550- ISP Routing Error
550-
550- Your ISP's access to local New Zealand content is currently
550- broken. Please contact your ISP and advise them that they
550- may well be able to fix this problem for you by peering with
550- the route servers and/or other ISPs at the APE or the WIX.
550-
550- The server you have connected to is not within New Zealand.
550- In order to protect you from prohibitive international
550- traffic charges, you will not be able to access the resources
550- you were looking for, here.
550-
550- We apologise for any inconvenience.
550
Connection closed by foreign host.
sam at arilou:~$

I'm guessing this is related to both the recent changes at Citylink's
end and Telecom's recent decision to stop free peering.

Anyone know if this situation is likely to be permanent?

Sam

--
Sam Cannell <sam at plaz.net.nz>