[wellylug] SME Server problems

Mark Signal mark at databackup.co.nz
Wed Jun 30 07:13:13 NZST 2004

Hi

I have tried several times and never got an ide raid to work on sme. They
generally set up fine in software raid mode. There seems to be some debate
as to whether cheapo ide raid cards offer any advantage over software raid
in this sort of application ... any thoughts people?

as a more general question...
My (somewhat limited) understanding is that the only thing mirrored disks
(software or ide raid) protects you from is a disk failure. It doesn't stop
accidental file deletion or software corruption. On the recent dual disk
boxes that I have set up I have put the os & data on one drive with a
daily/weekly rsync of data and config files to the other drive (or put the
other disk in an old pc at the furthest point in the factory/office from the
main server).

anyone got a better idea or some input on this?

cheers

Mark