[wellylug] New prices for TelstraClear Cable

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Wed Mar 3 08:27:43 NZDT 2004

Rob,

You forgot to mention the $10.95 per month surcharge for cable modem
hire (and no you can't buy one and use that instead). So the actual
monthly charges are a little more than you describe.

Personally I find these new plans, on a whole, disappointing. They fail to
provide a flexible set of options to suit different needs. By coupling two
factors together (bitrate + traffic cap) and increasing both as they
increase the price, they have failed to appreciate that not
everybody craves faster transfer rates. To get a large cap, you have to
pay for high speed at the same time. Ridiculous. Where are the lower
speed/higher cap plans??

My current plan (phone + 10GiB @ 256kbit/sec) costs about $85 a month. I
am very happy with this - I don't care if it takes 6 hours or 45 minutes
to download an iso. What matters to me is that I can download a few a
month. The 2mbps/5GiB plan is the closest in price - but it's still about
$10 more. If I want to retain my 10GiB cap I have to pay $175 for 10 mbps
bitrate. This is silly! Who needs 10 mbps every day? Not me.

By combining bitrate and cap and failing to consider the entire feature
matrix, they are letting down (in my opinion) quite a few people who value
a high cap over a fast bitrate.

I just hope they don't force me to switch and I can keep my existing
(excellent) plan. Am I the only one that feels this is a step backwards?
Faster is better, sure, but that's not the only factor here.

--
David.