[wellylug] RH replacement (was RH dependencies)

David McNab david at rebirthing.co.nz
Mon Mar 8 17:15:21 NZDT 2004

Two options for long-term bliss:

1) Debian

2) Gentoo

Debian is a binary-based distro. The reputedly tricky setup is a
once-only deal, and becomes second nature after a short time. I
particularly recommend Debian Unstable (which ironically is more stable
than most Linux distros), as it has the freshest software.
Once you've got Debian set up, it's apt-heaven from then on.

Gentoo has come a long way in the last year, and offers fresher software
than Debian, but at the price of downloading source packages (usually
bigger than Debian's binaries), and waiting for them to compile.

Cheers
David

--

Kind regards
David

--

leave this line intact so your email gets through my junk mail filter