[wellylug] CDs and CD Audio and Things

Tim Nicholas tim at nicholas.net.nz
Mon Mar 8 18:53:37 NZDT 2004

On 03/08/04 16:41, Chris Hodgetts wrote:
> The problem is , we tried that, and it runs 24/7 and the one we had
> previous ran over christmas, and when we came back well... umm yeah, it
> had fried it self....
>
> And as we have an abundance of old 2x cd roms lying around, thought it
> might be a good idea to put em to use :)

It is my understanding that CD drives (of any sort - computer, audio or
even DVD) are simply not designed to spin constantly. It's not something
that you are going to be able to do reliably.
I had a friend who went away on holiday recently and left her DVD player
on pause... Came back a fortnight later and it was screwed.

Though you specificly said that you can't, you are going to have to find
another way. A cheap solid state MP3 player or something like that. If
you only need to play one CDs worth of audio, then you wont need very
much storage and it wont be all that expensive.

Tim

--
Tim Nicholas                          ||                      Cilix
Email: tim at nicholas.net.nz            ||    Wellington, New Zealand