[wellylug] Presentation videos now available

Jeremy Naylor jeremy.naylor at r2.co.nz
Wed Mar 10 11:53:47 NZDT 2004

Hey Jamie,

Thanks for your e-mail - it's much appreciated.

The reason why we (my Dad and I) only recorded the videos instead of
streaming them too is because this would pull people away from going to the
actual LUG meetings themselves. And anyway, what's the point in having the
LUG meetings if people don't go to them?

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jeremy Naylor.

At 10:05 PM 3/9/2004 +1300, you wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>Can I offer some thoughts here?
>
>I've been worried about the sort of reaction today, and I thought it
>might happen.
>
>Worryingly, I've been thinking (this is where Jeremy accuses me of
>having beginners luck):
>
>- First of all we need to recognise that the time and effort that R2
>provide is for free.
>
>- Secondly we need appreciate the motives as to why R2 might offer to do
>this sort of thing at such at excellent price (and also why they have
>decided to stream only).
>
>- Thirdly, the last thing we want is for someone who is basically doing
>this for the benefit of the community at large is to be inundated with
>lots of small requests for this and that. This is not the point.
>
>- R2 could well offer to provide CD's at the following LUG meeting, and
>that's their choice. In fact R2 could well say "Jamie, don't worry about
>it", and I'll shut up. Or something like that ;-)
>
>Now this is where I move into IMHO mode.
>
>- The point of a meeting is so we can share ideas, tips and tricks, get
>to see each other from the other side of the monitor, have a yarn etc.
>
>- The last thing I think we want to have happen is people stop coming to
>a LUG meeting, because they can watch it online instead. Catching up
>each other in meatspace instead of cyberspace has it's value.
>
>- Meetings are the one regular social event we do, and we should try and
>keep it that way.
>
>- If you can't make it go, ask for help. I can watch it here. All you
>need is mplayer.
>
>- The fact that it's Microsoft format is actually good. *gasp* Why?
>Because meetings are good. The people who come to a LUG meeting are the
>"converted" - if we are to spread the word about Linux, how cool it is,
>and make it easy for new Linux Users join the group, then we need to
>communicate to the "unconverted" i.e those in MS land. Therefore an MS
>based stream means that the LUG grows. Which is good.
>
>- I realise that some people just can't make it to a meeting. But
>honestly, if it's that important, a little bit of time hacking mplayer
>to go will be worth it.
>
>Links:
>http://marillat.free.fr/
>
>jamie