[wellylug] Win2K + Linux Problem

Chris Hodgetts chris at archnetnz.com
Wed Mar 17 10:00:16 NZDT 2004

Samba3 is good for all this...

If you intergrate Samba with LDAP it works even better, in-fact my first
project here, which was scraped but I wont go into that, was to set up a
Active Directory / Domain Controller replacement.

Each user was entered into the LDAP database, and it shared
authentication across the whole network, Linux and Windows boxes alike.

Also Sam mentioned about creating Machine accounts.... I got it to
create the account when you joined the domain and entered the Admin user
and password, just like you would when you joined an M$ Domain.

Interesting project worked well, ... on the three machines that were set
up for the trial.

And as always in good old Linux fashion, the one of the reasons why the
project was scraped was because the lack of Calendar sharing in e-mail
clients. - So I tried to resolve that with ICAL, but it didn't work
quite how I had anticipated.

--
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck, is probably the
day Microsoft starts making vacuum cleaners. " -- Ernst Jan Plugge