[wellylug] samba workgroup name length requirement

Tim Thomson tim.thomson at paradise.net.nz
Mon Mar 22 09:27:07 NZST 2004

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 10:09:25AM +1200, Phillip Rose wrote:

> I thought I could just edit my smb.conf, change back to the old name and
> restart samba, but the longer name is apparently still in some other config
> file somewhere that I just can't find, even after re-boots. komba2 is now
> showing both workgroups.

Sometimes older workgroup and machine names seem to sometimes get cached
under /var/run/samba (or more likely /var/cache/samba).
Try something like this:

/etc/init.d/samba stop
rm /var/cache/samba/browse.dat
/etc/init.d/samba start

Perhaps komba2 may be caching the name too? I'm not sure, you may want
to remove it's config file too. Probably somewhere like
.kde/share/apps/komba2?

> My question is, does anyone know anything about this longer workgroup name
> requirement, and should I just switch all machines to a longer name? I was
> wondering if it might be a new M$ thing. I've looked in man pages and on
> Google, with no luck. This komba2 thing reminds of why I quickly gave up on
> SWAT, and stuck to manually editing my smb.conf files.

Google gave this: http://www.mepis.org/node/view/244 which seems to show
it is just a bug in MEPIS.

You could try grepping through /etc for the four letter name, to see if
it is lurking there somewhere.

Cheers,

Tim.