[wellylug] Quotes in M$Word docs, opened with OpenOffice

Lyndsay Mountfort lyndsaym at paradise.net.nz
Mon Mar 22 11:55:27 NZST 2004

Thanks for that Andrej - but as far as I can tell that only alters the
behaviour of quotes as they're entered from the keyboard, not as in
existing saved word docs.

But further to my own previous post, googling and looking at the OO site
didn't help much (or I wouldn't have posted!), but my own further
investigation showed:

1. this is a display problem only. When the document is printed, or
exported as PDF the quotes, hyphens etc. are rendered just fine!?

2. it seems to be related to available fonts. When I change to affected
text to different fonts, some seem to have the smart style fonts
available, but my system doesn't seem to have display equivalents for
those characters in the default fonts used by the original author using
Word.

If anyone can help with solving that somewhat narrower problem, I'd
still appreciate it! I would very much like to be able to collaborate on
documents with word users without having to run that other OS, and
without mucking around too much each time we exchange them.

My system is RH 9 - for now :-\

Lyndsay