[wellylug] Quotes in M$Word docs, opened with OpenOffice

JP jumbophut at yahoo.co.in
Mon Mar 22 18:36:39 NZST 2004

 --- Gordon Paynter wrote: >
> There are some free Microsoft fonts about, I think.
> Debian has a package
> msttcorefonts which I think is supposed to install
> them.  I have not used
> them, so I couldn't tell you how to set it up.

The msttcorefonts package is no longer functional.  It
was basically a script that downloaded the fonts from
the Microsoft site, where they were freely available.

You can find the same fonts here:
<http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/>

It looks legit (a copy of the original EULA is linked
and it seems to allow redistribution).

Under Debian, I found the easiest thing to do was to
just download the .exe files and install manually by
creating the fonts.scale files then using the
mkfontdir program.  (This is from memory, so actual
procedure may differ just a little).

A much easier way is to copy the fonts from an
existing Windows install (fonts.scale etc still
required but no SF download).  I only went through the
hassle of doing it from SF to convince myself I could
delete Windows without losing nice TT fonts.

Cheers
Tony