[wellylug] ATI Video card

JP jumbophut at yahoo.co.in
Thu Mar 25 15:32:58 NZST 2004

 --- Rob Giltrap wrote:

> I am thinking about picking up a cheap ATI Radeon
> 7000 32MB PCI video
> card for my PC (which currently has integrated
> graphics with no AGP)
>
> Is there anything I need to worry about on the Linux
> side of this to get
> it working?

Can't say exactly for the Radeon cards, but my ATI
Mach64 card works okay out-of-the-box.  glxgears has a
pathetic frame rate though.

TV-out is a problem.  I downloaded a utility which
switches from CRT to TV _using the BIOS_.  Prehistoric
and only works on i386, but does work.

Read here for more (including ATI):
http://www.ati.com/support/faq/linux.html

The recent problems with XFree certainly haven't
accelerated the driver-writing process for ATI cards.
They've been talking about proper 3D support for ages
for my card, but still nothing stable.

Cheers
Tony