[wellylug] debian q's

Tim Thomson tim.thomson at paradise.net.nz
Thu Mar 25 21:36:36 NZST 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:11:18PM +1200, Alex wrote:

> with debian, i'm aware there is "stable" , "testing" and "unstable".
>
> is it possible to mix and match packages from the 3 release types? or
> does one generally never do this?

Some people do. http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html has more
information on it.

> is it possible to instruct apt-get to only get new packages from the
> apt security mirror but not the regular packages?

Probably, but be careful, as unstable doesn't have a security mirror...
ie, security updates are uploaded to unstable, so if you aren't updating
from it as well you might miss a critical update.

> i'm trying to build a fully automated debian installation cd so i can
> easily deploy debian to a bunch of machines using a cd.
>
> i've had a look at FAI, with limited success - has anyone used this
> tool before? with any luck? has anyone used it to successfully create
> a booting CD of debian.
>
> what other software can be used to create a bootable debian CD?

I believe you can get knoppix to do a fully automatic install, but I'm
not sure how much work you need to get it to do it.

Possibly hack the new debian installer to do it? Probably getting FAI
working would be easier.

You could try using debian-cd to build some CD images too, customizing
what you need.

Hope this helps,

Tim.