[wellylug] An amusing Friday thought for y'all

Enkidu enkidu at cliffp.com
Fri Mar 26 19:56:13 NZST 2004

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 12:40:55 +1200, you wrote:

>> > As for SCO getting involved, the crack team of lawyers
>> > vs. crack team of lawyers battle might finally answer
>> > the question, "what happens when an irresistable force
>> > meets an immovable object".
>>
>> <pedant>
>>
>>   the existence of irresistable forces and immovable objects is mutually
>>   exclusive
>>
>> </pedant>
>
>Don't be silly, they're only mutually exclusive if they could ever meet. So long
>as they don't do that it's fine. I'm not convinced the universe isn't above a
>bit of hypocracy just to confuse us. It's classic schrodingers cat, so long as
>you never observe the two in competition, you're in the superposition.
>
>Up until the moment they fight it out, they're irresistable and immovable
>respectively :)

But until they "fight it out" they can't be judged to be irresistable
or immovable. You are conflating reality and theory. In theory the
question always arises because the question itself makes it arise. In
reality the universe is wide enough that a force can be (locally)
irresistable, and an object can be (lcoally) unmoveable.

Cheers,

Cliff