[wellylug] HotSyncing USB Palms

Robin Hinde robin at hindesite.co.nz
Sun Mar 28 00:54:10 NZST 2004

This is actually for Colin, but other members might find this useful.

Quite some time was spent trying to get an Acer s60 talking to Linux at the
Hutt meeting last Thursday. The problem was finding what the Palm device
actually appears on the system as. That's hard without any documentation.

Turns out that the answer (on my system, Mandrake 10) is: /dev/ttyUSB1

If you point K or J Pilot to that device, HotSyncing works fine. You have to
press the cradle HotSync button before clicking the Sync button in the
software, as /dev/ttyUSB1 doesn't exist until the cradle button is pressed.

I suppose the correct way is to create a link /dev/pilot that points to
/dev/ttyUSB1

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PalmOS-HOWTO/pc-connect.html has some quite relevant
information.

HTH