[wellylug] which is "safer" on a server: Xvfb or vncserver?

Jamie Baddeley wellylug at vpc.co.nz
Sun May 2 17:21:00 NZST 2004

Damon,

I manned openoffice and it told me:

SYNOPSIS
       openoffice  [-accept=]  [-display  DISPLAYNAME]  [-invisible]
[-minimized]  [-norestore]  [-p] [-pt] [-quickstart] [-server]
[-terminate_after_init]
       [FILE]...

[snip]

 -display DISPLAYNAME
This option specifies the X server to contact; see X(7x)

[snip]
                                                                                                                                                                 -invisible
The  office  doesn't  show  the  intro bitmap during startup and doesn't
open the first default document. After startup there is no visible UI
although using the Office API it is possible to open visible
documents/dialogs. The only way to shutdown the office is through the
Office  API or using the task manager / kill command.

[snip]

I've never done it myself, but the above may be an avenue to explore....

hth

jamie