[wellylug] Proper way to start program with correct uid from init.d?

Sam sam at plaz.net.nz
Mon May 3 09:36:30 NZST 2004

What distribution are you using?

Debian has a utility called 'start-stop-daemon' which is used in various
init.d scripts for .. well .. starting and stopping daemons. :)

It has quite a few funky parameters you can pass to it, including:

-c|--chuid username|uid
Change to this username/uid before starting the process. You can
also  specify a group by appending a :, then the group or gid in
the same way as you would for the `chown' command  (user:group).
When  using  this  option  you must realize that the primary and
supplemental groups are set as well, even if the --group  option
is  not  specified.   The --group option is only for groups that
the user isn't normally a member  of  (like  adding  per/process
group membership for generic users like nobody).

I'm not sure if it exists in other distributions, but it might be worth
having a look. :)

Cheers

Sam