[wellylug] Winmodem Help

PANDAX pandax at xtra.co.nz
Tue May 4 00:05:12 NZST 2004

Request
I am new to this group (and linux) after attending the great weekend installfest. I appreciate all the good work put in by wellylug members.
I am keen to learn and stubborn enough to try installing a winmodem - as my wife pointed out, what's the point running linux if I have to buy new hardware (external 56k modem)?

I have gone as far as I can and need help to understand how to run the modem driver I have installed.
If anyone can help I've tried to include all relevant info below not very succinctly I am afraid.
If this type of help request is not part of normal wellylug mail please let me know.

Philip

Background
I have Xandros 2.0 installed and an Intel (Ambient) HAM modem DSE XH1136 56K PCI Internal a.k.a MD5628-L-B
I downloaded Intel-v92ham-453.tgz from http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=Y&ProductID=1057&DwnldID=5976

and followed the following instructions to load the kernel headers.