[wellylug] Enabling XDMCP under Debian

Sam Cannell sam at plaz.net.nz
Tue May 4 09:54:42 NZST 2004

For xdm, edit the file /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config

At the bottom is the following:

-----
! SECURITY: do not listen for XDMCP or Chooser requests
! Comment out this line if you want to manage X terminals with xdm
DisplayManager.requestPort:    0
-----

Comment out the last line, and /etc/init.d/xdm restart

You'll also need to edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess and uncomment the
following line or lines:

*                                       #any host can get a login window
*               CHOOSER BROADCAST       #any indirect host can get a
chooser

The first allows terminals to get a login window and log into your Linux
PC.  You almost definitely want this.

The second will allow xdmcp terminals to get a chooser window with a
list of hosts from your xdmcp server.  If you don't want to use a
chooser window provided by the Linux PC, you can leave it commented out.

If you don't want to have a local X session running on the PC, you can
edit /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers and remove the line:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp

If you remove that and restart XDM, your Linux PC will remain at the
console with no GUI running, but you'll still be able to connect X
terminals to it.

Hope this helps :)

Sam