[wellylug] default browser in KDE (lazy question)

Tim Nicholas tim at nicholas.net.nz
Wed May 5 00:13:13 NZST 2004

On 05/04/04 23:02, Ilia Pavlenko wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> Just installed Mozilla FireFox - quite neat little browser. What's the
> easy way to make her default browser in KDE enviroment. (so when I click
> on the link in kmail- mozilla firefox comes up instead of konqueror).
>
> Is there a centralised way to set such thing ?
>
> Ilia

This is a pet hate of mine with relation to KDE apps. You can do it but
it's not simple. As I understand it (and there might well be a better
way) you need to define firefox (or mozilla or galeon or whatever) to be
associated with various mime-types so that KDE uses it rather than
konquoror.

I _think_ that what you need to do is go in to kcontrol, KDE Components,
File Associations, then go to text>html. Add an application to and move
it to the top of the preference order.

I actually have a little script which I call from there, because I like
it to open links in a new tab it there is a browser window open already.

This is my doggy script. It's cheap, it's nasty, but it seems to mostly
work.

Hope this helps.

#!/bin/bash
#
browserpath="/usr/bin"
browsercommand="mozilla"

cd $browserpath
( ./$browsercommand -remote "openURL($*, new-tab)" || ./$browsercommand
$* )&

--
Tim Nicholas                          ||                      Cilix
Email: tim at nicholas.net.nz            ||    Wellington, New Zealand