[wellylug] CD burning over network

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Fri May 7 10:07:30 NZST 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004 andrej at paradise.net.nz wrote:

> Quoting Jonathan Harker <jharker at massey.ac.nz>:
>
> > I'm finding burning CDs in 2.6 works fine. By RSCSI, do you mean the
> > SCSI emulation thingy?
> Sort of, but not exclusively. What I'm doing is
> for instance to run xcdroast on my notebook and
> burn to the burner on my desktop. RSCSI makes the
> scsi-interface network transparent, the actual
> workload of creating the ISO is on the local
> machine, just the burner (and the dataflow over
> the ethernet, of course) burden the receiving
> machine :}

You can do this another way too:

First, set up your files and run the following command on them:

$ SIZE=`mkisofs -J -L -r -print-size -quiet <files>`
$ echo $SIZE

This gives you the number of blocks the iso will use, so you can use this
to allow cdrecord to burn 'on the fly' with Disk At Once. E.g.

$ mkisofs -J -L -r -quiet <files> | cdrecord -dao -tsize=${SIZE}s -other -options -

Now it doesn't take a great leap of imagination to see how this can be run
over an ssh pipe!

$ ssh mkiso-host mkisofs -J -L -r -quiet <files> | cdrecord -dao -tsize=${SIZE}s ... -

or

$ mkisofs -J -L -r -quiet <files> | ssh burn-host cdrecord -dao -tsize=${SIZE}s ... -

You'll need to tune this so that you don't burn too quickly. Your results
will vary depending on host speeds, burn speed, network speed, etc. You
would probably want to use a very large buffer with cdrecord too (fs=16m
perhaps). Use the -dummy option to cdrecord until you are sure it won't
spit out a coaster.

This works in Linux 2.6 too (even better actually - Linux 2.6 handles
the I/O subsystems much better than 2.4 and streamlines the data flow
more effectively).

Cheers,
David.