[wellylug] BASH scripting help required

Jamie Dobbs jamie.dobbs at orcon.net.nz
Fri May 7 10:55:42 NZST 2004

I have a script that does some file manipulation then sends a file out of
the serial port.
Each file is reference as $file (via a for 'file in <filespec>' type setup).
What I need to do is to be able to test on the first character of the
filename and process something accordingly - ie. if the first character is
'L' then do one thing, if it is 'P' do another etc. My skills at string
manipulation in Unix/BASH are terrible (at best) and I wonder if someone
caqn give me some pointers on how to do this.

Cheers

Jamie