[wellylug] samba server and dhcp

Phillip Rose rosewong at paradise.net.nz
Sat May 8 23:04:22 NZST 2004

At 00:14 08/05/04 +1200, Sam Cannell wrote:
>The first thing you should do is make sure all the PCs are in the same
>workgroup - it'll make things a lot easier.  Now, on to the fun:
<snip>

Thanks to Sam and Michael for their replies. The WINS server option is not
useful to me because at the most I have 2 WIN2K workstations running, and
the Linux machine in question is a laptop which will not be present part of
the time, so I don't want to set it up as a WINS server. Smoothwall (not
running samba) cannot act as a WINS server.

Following Sam's instructions, I was able to get one WIN2K machine to
readily and willingly find the Linux laptop by hostname and access its
samba shares. That was way cool to see that happening! The other WIN2K
machine is configured EXACTLY THE SAME, DAMMIT (sorry), and it can't even
ping the Linux machine by IP address from it! It can see the other WIN2K
machine and the Smoothwall machine, etc, etc. There's something wrong
there, and I don't know what it is. This isn't a W*****s discussion group,
so I'll leave that one for now.

Michael mentioned dns and Smoothwall. The Smoothie manual (I think) tells
you to use Smoothwall as a dns server, but I find it works either way with
Windows machines... either using the Smoothwall as a dns server or "obtain
a DNS server automatically". I'm on a dial-up connection, btw.

If I can't get the other WIN2K machine to see the Linux laptop with dhcp
I'll revert to assigning some static IP addresses, but leave Smoothwall as
a dhcp server. One of my motivations was to be able to boot Live CDs and
have them find the network automagically, which they only seem to do if you
have a dhcp server going.

Thanks again for the replies,
--Phillip