[wellylug] Linux on yourCV

Chris Targett xin at xlevus.net
Tue May 11 22:59:26 NZST 2004

Enkidu wrote:
| On Tue, 11 May 2004 19:12:08 +1200 (NZST), you wrote:

|>>Why?
|>
|>I would argue that PDFs are actually a very good format to send (my CV was
|>done with LaTeX and rendered to PDF). Basically, The Simpsons are on, so I
|>can't elaborate, but the basic gist is:
|>
|>1. open
|>2. easy to view in any OS
|>3. difficult to change directly (that's a GOOD thing)
|>4. smallish
|>5. ... damn ads are over.
|>

| 1. Proprietary. Even if it freely available.
|
| 2. You have to download a viewer. Bad! Bad! Bad!
|
| 3. Difficult to change directly (that's a BAD BAD thing). So you have
| 19 documents in portrait mode and one in landscape mode. In most other
| formats you can change that with the click of a button. Doesn't work
| with most PDFs. So the PDF document is in dual column mode. Doesn't
| the writer realise what a bad impression that makes? It's much harder
| to scan read a two column layout than a single column. Can't change
| that. If I can read a document in MY chosen format, it might get read.
| If I can easily switch a document to MY chosen format I *might* do it.
| If I can't change the format to something readable, it goes in the
| bin.
|
| 4. Bigger than Word - I've been sent PDFs that are 2MB! Even Word
| doesn't bloat that much. Usually.
|
| 5. Usually contain pictures and "art work". Why do people get their
| hands on a layout program and suddenly think that they transformed
| into artistic geniuses? I want to know about their qualifications and
| achievments, not admired the clever use of fonts in the headings.
|
| 6. Colour. Horror of horrors! Colour has no place in a CV.
|
| 7. Fonts. Why do people insist on creating PDFs with strange fonts
| that don't come as standard with the usual PDF readers?
|
| Cheers,
|
| Cliff

*cough* vim *cough*
My 2c

Yes. I agree, PDF's suck and theres nothing there is too it. Text always looks
screwy, Its slow (even on a 2+ghz System), and I never have Acrobat Reader
installed because its just a pain in the ass.

.doc's suck too. Theyre not very cross-os able, What renders in OO probably wont
render in Word, But they do offer the advantage of not needing some stupid
"Courier Times Windings Sans-Script Fancypants" font.

</rant>