[wellylug] Linux on yourCV

Tim Nicholas tim at nicholas.net.nz
Thu May 13 13:38:14 NZST 2004

On 11/05/04 18:53, Damon Lynch wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 18:37, Enkidu wrote:
>

>>1a) If the CV is in PDF format, send out a hit squad.
>

> Why?
>
> Damon

My experience with recruitment people is that they like to be able to
put CVs into centralized databases which they can search. All their
software for doing this is written assuming that they will have the
source documents in .doc format.

Also, if they are forwarding it on to the potential employer they might
well talk to you about changing a few things to better communicate your
skills to that particular client. They want to be able to do that
without having to get you to do it and send it back. I'm not saying they
are going to change your CV without talking to you, but they might call
you up and say "Look, I really think it would be a good idea if we moved
your perl and irix experience to the top of the list rather than it's
current place below bash and Linux." with .doc they can do that straight
away while you are sitting on the bus or in a cafe or whatever rather
than waiting for you to get to your computer, make the change and then
email the modified version in.

That said, I can't think of any good reason why an actual employer would
want it in a .doc. PDF seems like the way to go in that case.

As for all this bitching that PDFs do their job (they look the same
every time) I say, Get Over It. If the pdf doesn't look good you know
it's because of the person who made it. If a .doc doesn't look good you
have about 70 options which could explain it. PDFs are very very good
for read only documents. I don't think there is any better choice.

Tim

--
Tim Nicholas                          ||                      Cilix
Email: tim at nicholas.net.nz            ||    Wellington, New Zealand