[wellylug] OpenOffice.org 2.0 early impressions

William Hamilton william at thevirtual.co.nz
Tue May 18 22:25:52 NZST 2004

Rob Giltrap wrote:

> FYI
>
> The new version of OpenOffice.org (v2.0) is coming up for it's early
> access realease in June so I thought I would take a sneak peak and
> downloaded build 680/m38 (from 3rd May).
>
> The startup speed was slightly better again and the look and feel have
> slight improvements. The big change however was when I opened up a
> couple of documents from hell. These are MS Word docs with nested tables
> and other such nasties. They converted extremely well, much much better
> than OOo 1.1.1
>
> Of course this is a pre alpha release and as such promptly crashed as
> soon as I tried to save any document! However, the experience showed me
> that as good as OOo is now, version 2.0 looks like it is going to better
> by a good margin by removing more barriers to adoption.
>
> The roadmap highlights are as follows....
>
> June 2004: OOo 2.0 EA (early access)
> June/July 2004: UI freeze/feature complete OOo 2.0 Alpha
> September 2004: Beta Release Candidates
> October 2004: OOo2.0 Beta
> December 2004: OOo 2.0 rc
> January 2005: OOo 2.0
>
> Cheers, Rob.

I concur with Robs comments, I have been using A2 for a few months and
have been VERY impressed with the improvements, the conversion of MS
Word docs is much better.  There are still bundles of bugs but for what
I have been doing with it lately (mainly word processing), they are not
critical, it is a working app for me and I am happy with it.  I will
explore the spread sheet and other apps another day.

Overall the app is has huge potential over the 1.X releases and I lok
forward to a stable release.

--
William Hamilton

TheVirtual Ltd                  Voice:  +64 4 801 5830
Wellington, New Zealand         Mobile: +64 21 650 936
william at thevirtual.co.nz        www.thevirtual.co.nz
Making Virtual Business Reality