[wellylug] mdk 10 - 2.6 kernel + bluetooth + usb2

Sam Cannell sam at plaz.net.nz
Thu May 27 16:29:44 NZST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 15:40, Brenda O'Hagan wrote:
> what i want to do it take a binary rpm: eg. ron
> and without installing or booting this kernel, I want to find out if bluez was
> turned on when it was complied..
> anyone give my some basic step by step instructions on how to do this?

* Put the kernel rpm into a temporary directory, eg
/tmp/mandrake-kernel/

* Extract the files from the kernel rpm using rpm2cpio and cpio:
http://www.opal.dhs.org/docs/rpm-extract.oml

* Download the 2.6.something kernel source.  Put it into another
temporary directory, eg. /tmp/kernel-source/

* Extract the kernel source tarball (tar xjvf
linux-kernel-2.6.x.tar.bz2)

* Assuming the kernel binary is /tmp/mandrake-kernel/vmlinux-2.6.3 and
the kernel source is in /tmp/kernel-source/linux-2.6.3/, do the
following:

cd /tmp/kernel-source/linux-2.6.3/scripts/
./extract-ikconfig /tmp/mandrake-kernel/vmlinux-2.6.3

Note that this will only work if the Mandrake kernel does have the
config embedded in it.  If you have a 2.6 source tree on your disk then
you can use that instead of downloading a new kernel image.

If you can't get it to work, email me the kernel rpm and I'll see if I
can get it :)

Cheers

Sam
--