[wellylug] cat README | more ???

jumbophut jumbophut at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 14:25:05 NZDT 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:07:15 +1300, Donald Gordon wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 10:36:43 +1300
> jumbophut wrote:
>
> > Real h4x0rs enter binary with switches on a console.  But as always,
> > this is Linux, so use what you like.
>
> Actually, I suspect that most people who describe themselves using
> digits instead of letters probably don't realise that once upon a time,
> people did actually enter things with switches (or knobs) on a console
> :-)

I do realise that people used to enter hex directly (Altair etc.).
Indeed, people still do -- there's a New Zealander who recently got
referred to on Slashdot for building his own computer (can't find the
link now unfortunately), and he entered the OS using a switchboard.
He could have used other methods quite easily, but he's obviously a
sucker for punishment/true geek.

The first computer I actually got to program on was a ZX81, shortly
followed by a Poly -- remember those?  The Poly had -- gadzooks! -- a
keyboard and built-in screen, with single-channel sound and colour
graphics.  There was even an 8.5" disk drive.  Anyway, rest assured
that in spite of my early exposure to rudimentary computers, I am not
a h4x0r or a person who uses digits instead of letters.  I am an
econo<mumble>.

--
Tony (echo 'spend!,pocket awide' | sed 'y/acdeikospntw!, /l at omcgtjuba.phi/')