[wellylug] Forking Linux.

jumbophut jumbophut at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 17:15:59 NZDT 2004

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:19:51 +1300, Donald Gordon wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:09:09 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
> > The GUI-Linuxers wouldn't know what to do without their Windows
> > surrogate (OK - trolling just a tad, eh?) Many text-only Linuxers find
> > a depressingly increasing number of essential tools coming only in GUI
> > flavours.
>
> I don't.  Which essential tools only come in GUI flavours?  And do you
> know *anyone* who uses a *nix system purely in text mode?

I have two Linux systems with no X/desktop at all.  So yes, there are
people who do that.  It's by necessity on one machine, due to space
and speed, and by choice on the other, because it reduces the chance
of security holes and crashes.

I do have another machine with KDE on it.  I would consider that a
separate system, but maybe that's what you meant when you said nobody
uses a system purely in text mode?

Anyhow, on all three machines, I consider myself primarily "a Linux
user", rather than a TUI user on two and a GUI user on the other.

--
Tony (echo 'spend!,pocket awide' | sed 'y/acdeikospntw!, /l at omcgtjuba.phi/')