[wellylug] Mac Users Distro

Steven Mulvay steven.mulvay at paradise.net.nz
Wed Nov 17 23:50:16 NZDT 2004

Hi all, how are you?
This is a question for all the members of the LUG who use Linux on a Macintosh. What distribution of Linux do you use? I'm currently using Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 on my G4 iMac. I'm thinking about upgrading to Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 but before I do I want to see what other distributions cater for Macintosh computers, there might one better suited to my needs than Yellowdog.

While I have had a lot of fun with Yellowdog, I have also run into problems as well. One of my problems is that I can't get my modem driver to work. My 2nd problem is that when I do go on the net, I haven't been able to find any rpm's of programs for use with Yellowdog and I struggle with compiling programs from source. I attribute my problems to the fact that I am still new to the Linux world and I am reasonably confident that I will have better luck with Yellow Dog Linux 4.0, after all I have already conquered many difficulties since I first started using Linux. Nevertheless, I think finding out about other Macintosh Linux distributions and keeping my options open is a good idea.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

Cheers,
Steve