[wellylug] Getting rid of illegal characters in filenames

Jamie Dobbs jamie.dobbs at orcon.net.nz
Mon Nov 22 19:25:44 NZDT 2004

A while ago (ok maybe a long time ago!) someone gave me a piece of code
that would go through the files in a directory (actually having it
traverse an entire directory tree would be better) and rename any files
that contained "illegal" characters (ie. ones Windows/DOS doesn't like).
I have since misplaced the code and would appreciate any help that
people can give me to fix these filenames that contain illegal
characters (such as * $ % etc).

Cheers

Jamie