[wellylug] DVD dual layer burner for Linux machine

jumbophut jumbophut at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 13:19:12 NZDT 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:02:32 +1300 (NZDT), David Antliff wrote:

> Dual formats, dual layer, blu-ray, yello-ray, death-ray... I find the
> DVD*R/RW situation really quite confusing.
>
> Is there a nice all-round DVD writing product at a reasonable price that
> has no design flaws, supports all formats and isn't priced out of the
> competition?

If you mean hardware, there are plenty of writers which claim support
for all of CD/CD-R/CD-RW/CDDA/DVD/DVD+-R/DVR+-RW/DVD-RDL.  DVD-RAM is
available for some too.  Costs vary, but $100-$300 is typical for an
internal drive.  The blu-ray burners are not yet available to us plebs
at reasonable cost.  My problem, and the reason I asked the question,
is that I don't know which ones work with Linux well, particularly on
an older machine (P700).

If you mean Linux software, the latest versions of k3b seem to support
everything except blu-ray (again, not widely available yet anyway).
k3b is free.  More info about DVD burning here:
http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/ (growisofs is cool -- lets
you make a backup DVD with e.g. sysrescue CD and all your data
compressed on it, so you can boot and restore from the same disc).

Cheers
Tony

--
Tony (echo 'spend!,pocket awide' | sed 'y/acdeikospntw!, /l at omcgtjuba.phi/')