[wellylug] USB flash disk

Phillip Rose rosewong at paradise.net.nz
Mon Nov 29 08:03:27 NZDT 2004

At 07:33 29/11/04 +1300, Mark Signal wrote:
>I may be completely off track but I thought usb drives where treated as
>/dev/sda1  /dev/sda2 etc.
>I have had a lot of problems with usb 2 on 2.4 kernels and no problems
>at all on 2.6 kernels
<snip!>

I'm off the same track with Mark, because here's how I mount my Lexar USB
drive in MEPIS (Debian-based) 2.6 on both desktop and notebook (/etc/fstab
excerpt):

# removable jump drive
/dev/sda1    /mnt/jump vfat   noauto,users,exec,noatime,rw 0 0

For "too much information", may I suggest:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/Flash-
Memory-HOWTO.html

I understand that I was lucky to have purchased a Lexar, as opposed to some
other brands. I see that Ascent has many USB keychain drives for sale now,
some specifically mentioning compatibility with Linux. BTW, Mandrake 10
will just automount the puppies!

--Phillip Rose