[wellylug] Weird samba + mod date/create date issue

Carl Klitscher carl at nz1.ibm.com
Wed Oct 6 22:34:19 NZDT 2004

I'm seeing a similar problem with a windows share. I also get different
results depending on if (from outside the directory) I do ls against the
file or the directory. Best I can come up with so far is a failure to
handle GMT+13h very well (a uniquely NZ problem). Problem is I can't read
code well enough to prove it and also can't work work out if it is a
problem at the linux end or the windows end... i.e. is smbfs passing a bad
date string to windows or is windows interpreting the date string badly.
Given that I get different results depending on how I use ls and, like you,
a file created on the windows side returns the correct date/time to the
linux side I suspect it is smbfs with the problem.

And I get -12h 47m which is 13m off 13h... spooky ay!

Carl