[wellylug] preliminary SATA Linux software RAID0/RAID1 comparison

Cesare D'Amico cesare at ngi.it
Wed Oct 13 10:42:35 NZDT 2004

Alle 23:24, martedì 12 ottobre 2004, Wood Brent ha scritto:
> Dunno about RAID0 & RAID1, my guess is that as RAID1 actually does
> twice the I/O, it will be significantly slower on writes, (where good
> hardware RAID can gain).

I think that if you put the drives on two different channels, the writes
can be in parallel, so you shouldn't notice such a slowdown... methinks
(never tried, at the moment I'm stuck with a non-hardware promise raid
"controller" which is actually software raid, and I can't find a piece
of software to check if one of the disks dies... if I knew it was
actually software, I'd used linux' own software raid, for which I can
use mdadm... damn...).

Ciao
     ce
--
Cesare D'Amico - Key on pgp.mit.edu, ID 92802693
C: E così scoprimmo che la gallina ama molto il caldo e che denudata,