[wellylug] Mounting USB flash memory

David Antliff dave.antliff at paradise.net.nz
Wed Oct 27 23:51:15 NZDT 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Centurion Computer Technology Ltd wrote:
> You will have to look at hotplug to solve this one.  I think
> automounting may be difficult because when it comes time to remove it
> you have to unmount it before you unplug it otherwise you end up with
> data corruption especially if you use the default fat filesystem on it.
>
> I just setup an entry in /etc/fstab and a disk drive applet on the
> desktop (Gnome) to mount and unmount it.

I do pretty much the same with my USB camera and USB mp3 player. However I
use udev instead of devfs to manage my device nodes. You might want to
look into this if you are using a 2.6 kernel. There's a very good howto I
can point you at if you're interested...

(udev means you don't have to worry about /dev/sda1 being either device,
depending on which you plugged in first, amongst other things...)

--
David.